Monday, June 13, 2011

Dinner. I Wish You Had Smell-o-vision

Sarah found a recipe for a summer style strawberry balsamic flatbread that I really wanted to try out. However, strawberries are no longer in season (turns out that in places other than the US, when a food isn't in season, it's not available). So what did I do? I just adapted the recipe and made the following supporting meal:

Garlic & rosemary cheese bread
Original recipe:
http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2011/06/strawberry-balsamic-flatbread/

I made some substitutions (replaced orange zest with garlic powder and rosemary) and before popping it in the oven, I put a light sprinkling of shredded cheese and fresh garlic on top. Then, I baked it for about half the amount of time the recipe called for; partially because our oven just cooks hot and partially because that's just my style!
Result: Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum…Yummy. Sarah said that it's one of the best breads she's ever had. It made me feel pretty good to hear that :).


Salad with Ranch

Tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, and home-made (from the packet, but made with low fat mayo made from olive oil and 1% milk) Ranch dressing.
Result: Yummy with a side of yum.







Pasta (Jer's)

Spaghetti with home-made tomato sauce (made from scratch with onions, peppers, squash, herbs, and tomato paste). Yum yumyum yum…..yum yumyum yum YUUUM!

Pasta (Sarah's)

Spaghetti with cottage cheese and cinnamon (an Israel family classic). I had a bite. It was yummerific.

Conclusion:
Everything we had tonight, except for the spaghetti and cottage cheese, was completely home-made and fresh. It was, as Sarah's great uncle Benia would say, VERY DELICIOUS (now, imagine that being said with a heavy Israeli accent…as those are two of about five words he can say in English). I can't wait to make this again and again (and for our friends and family in the states, get ready…because that bread recipe is coming back with us!). I have a feeling I'll be making this bread again VERY soon!

1 comment: