Saturday, November 12, 2011

What Do You Keep in Your Pockets...on Shabbat?

Not me. But he's happy that has empty pockets on Shabbat. Like me.
What is in your pockets right now? My normal pocket contents include keys, a cell phone (or since we've been in Israel, an Israeli cell phone and an iPod Touch), and a wallet. They are necessary things for every day tasks.


But what about on Shabbat? Shabbat is a time to refrain from the mundane, separate yourself from the every day tasks, and engage with holiness. 


Every Friday, I take stock of what is in my pockets. For the last few months, I've given thought to every thing that I carry with myself. Do I really need a wallet to walk to shul? Nope. Do I really need the iPod? Nope. Do I really even need the cell phone? Usually, no.


Since I have started this practice, I find myself better able to enjoy the peace and serenity of Shabbat. I take the time to disconnect a bit from the everyday, the mundane. 


Will I continue doing this when we're back in the States? Probably. Of course, I'll likely need to have a drivers license to get to shul, so I will bring a wallet, but only with the things I really need inside. 


Can you do this too? Absolutely! Just take stock of the things you carry with you every Shabbat. Hopefully, it will allow you to also open yourself up to the joys and rest of Shabbat.

No comments:

Post a Comment