Sunday, July 17, 2011

Album of the Day: "First Day of Class" by Rookie Card

We have a winner! My wonderful brother in law got he answer right: all of the items from yesterday's list were songs from Rookie Card's album, "First Day of Class." And what's the awesome prize? Lunch at my favorite falafel place. Get excited, D.

Yup. It's my first day of class.

In the style of my sister's blog about life in Amsterdam, I'll answer some questions:

Are you excited?
Kinda. I'm glad we will begin learning in earnest instead of just talking about big questions and then processing them. A whole week of that without much substance is pretty tiring. But the summer session is mostly (75%) Hebrew ulpan (intensive). In other words, while we will be learning a lot of good historical context in our biblical history class and the melodies for chanting Torah in our cantillation class, the Hebrew classes will be a stepping stone to learning everything else for the bulk of the remainder of my time in school. So I'm excited to get back to class, as what we learn in Hebrew class will provide a foundation on which to build all other lessons from Rabbinical school. I'll be more excited when we can actually put things on top of that foundation.

How's your Hebrew?
I will be starting in kitah alef (no, not the class with Natalie Portman's new kid), which is the bottom of three levels currently offered. We will have to see how the first week goes, as I will likely apply to move up a level. While I thought my Hebrew skills were better, maybe I really am where I should be. Only time and class experience will tell. איך העברית שלך? If you understood that, let's converse in Hebrew!

Are you getting enough to eat?
Yes, Mom.

How'd you get to be so cute?
You, Mom.

How's the weather?
Hot.

Have you seen Harry Potter?
No, but we're going out this afternoon after classes to see it. I'll post a review here tonight or tomorrow.

Isn't today a big day?
Yes! Not only is it my first day back to school, it's the three year anniversary since I moved back down to San Diego and started dating Sarah again! Wow, what an incredible three years it has been! We're going out to a really nice dinner tonight. I won't be posting a review :)

Will you have homework?
Yeah, probably, but I'm blowing it off tonight to see HP 7.2 and be with my wife :) JUST KIDDING MOM AND DAD! I'M TOTALLY STAYING HOME ALL AFTERNOON AND EVENING AND DOING HOMEWORK.

Do you have nice classmates?
Absolutely! I actually recommend following their blogs (many of them are following this blog, so you can find them on the left side of the page). Each person has such a unique background and brings such incredible spirit to our class. I cannot wait to learn from each person.

Anything else you'd like to add?
Well, in traditional Jewish style, let me answer that question with another question: is there anything else you'd like me to add?

1 comment:

  1. Hey...let's be fair now...I never asked if you were getting enough to eat!!!! (although quite good to know!)

    ReplyDelete