Monday, July 11, 2011

First Day of Orientation in the Books

After months (okay, YEARS) of waiting, our first day of HUC-JIR orientation is in the books! While I don't think this forum is necessarily the best place to process everything that we have experienced thus far, I would like to share with you what we did today (we began in the afternoon, so it was a shorter session):
  • After some singing (Recht's Hinei Mah Tov), we shared a l'chaim (literally, "to life" but in this context, a toast) to our journey. We were greeted with words of welcome from our director of the Year-in-Israel program and the director of student services.
  • We joined in some brief text study, applying the following story to our journey together:
    Rabbi Yehoshua ben Hananyah taught...I was once on a journey when I noticed a little boy sitting at a cross-road. "By what road," I asked him, "do we go to the town?" - "This one," he replied, "is short but long and that one is long but short." I proceeded along the "short but long" road. When I approached the town I discovered that it was hedged in by gardens and orchards. Turning back I said to him, "My son, did you not tell me that this road was short?" - "And," he replied, "did I not also tell you, 'but long?'" I kissed him upon his head and said to him, "Happy are you, O Israel, all of you are wise, both young and old."
  • We started to learn about each other, our stories of how we got to this point, and an insight to each other's way of thinking.
  • The significant others (SOs) joined us in a "Tastes of Israel" dinner with a full spread of delicious Israeli food. This was followed by birkat hamazon (blessing after the meal). We used my Bencher. People made the connection between the person who edited the Bencher and their classmate. We all realized the potential that we have to affect our Movement.
  • We then walked over to the walls of the Old City, shared in some more study with two professors and began to take in the work we are going to be doing and what it all means. If you didn't realize that we're doing something incredibly sacred, you realized it after tonight.
Now, some sleep before a full day of more orientation!

Lailah tov (good night)!

No comments:

Post a Comment