Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011 In Review - What Kind of Year Has It Been


2011 has been an incredible year. It's had its ups and downs, but what I have found most astonishing is to reflect on what the world was like just one year ago. It may not feel as if much has changed, but here are some things to consider, both in the global and personal contexts:


On January 1, 2011:
I was working at CBI as the Youth Director.
I knew Sarah and I would begin an adventure in Israel, but I had not even interviewed with HUC.
Sarah and I had a dog, Sully.
Sudan was still one country.
Outside of quick trips to Mexico, Canada, and Costa Rica, Israel was the only other country I had ever visited.
Becky and Eric lived in Oakland and my parents had grass in their front and back yards.
The term "Arab Spring" meant nothing.
Japan had not suffered through a 9.1 earthquake and subsequent tsunami.
Cottage Cheese in Israel was just a delicious snack, not also a political statement.
Hosni Mubarak was still in power in Egypt.
Anthony Weiner just had a funny last name, not an ironic one.
All members of the youngest generation of the Royal Family were unmarried.
Osama bin Laden was still alive and at large.
The Space Shuttle program was still in existence.
Gilad Shalit was still in the hands of Hamas, and we did not know for sure if he was alive.
Muammar Gaddafi was still alive.
Amy Winehouse was still trying to go through rehab.
Harry Potter still had another movie up his sleeve.
Almost no one had heard of Rebecca Black. And Friday was just another day.
Steve Jobs was still alive.
No sitting president had ever addressed a URJ Biennial.
Kim Jong Il was still alive.
I had never spent more than 2 months outside of California.


Now:
I am a Rabbinic student at HUC-JIR.
Sudan is now two countries.
Sully is with a new, very loving family.
I have visited 7 countries, and next year I will visit 3 more. (Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, Israel, Czech Republic, Turkey, Greece - although I also have stamps from London Heathrow and Cyprus from extended lay-overs)
Becky and Eric live in Amsterdam, and my parents have completely redone the front and back yards.
Hosni Mubarak was ousted as leader of Egypt, bin Laden and Gaddafi and Kim Jong Il are dead, and Gilad is home.
The Space Shuttle flies no more.
Amy Winehouse lost her battle with alcohol.
Harry Potter finally defeated Voldemort.
Steve Jobs has left behind an incredible legacy.
President Barack Obama spoke at the URJ Biennial in DC.
I have been living in Israel for 9 months.


What kind of year, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment