Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Air Travels of 2011

Anyone who knows me knows how much of a plane nerd I am. How big of a nerd am I? Well, for one, I wrote an 11 page paper for one of my classes about how El Al is a symbol of civil religion in Israel. Yup. 11 pages on an airline. But I also like to keep track of the planes I fly.


In 2010, I started keeping a flight log. Every flight I take, I take note of the specific plane we're on (its registration number, not just Boeing 737 or Airbus A321...By the way, bonus if you can spot one of the dead giveaways for how to decide which is which! Leave it in the comments.), what time we push back from the gate and what time we arrive at the gate. It's been a really fun way to indulge my hobby. Plus, it has given me incredible insights for my flying history. And, I am able to get incredible statistics about my travels.


In 2010:


  • I was flying for a total of 81 hours, 31 minutes - or nearly 3.5 days
  • I traveled nearly 35,000 miles, meaning I circumnavigated the globe 1.4 times
  • 10 of the 29 flight segments (around 35%) I flew were delayed by more than 15 minutes
  • We were lucky enough to fly 6 segments in First class (to and from Costa Rica, and our way home from Philly)
  • I flew in or out of 14 different airports (San Diego was most often)
  • I flew using 5 different airlines (Southwest for 48% of my flights)
  • I flew on 6 different models of aircraft (15 on Boeing 737s)
  • I flew 22 different routes (the most common being my two round trips to Phoenix and three round trips to Oakland)
  • And I visited a total of 2 other countries (Costa Rica and Israel).
Pretty cool stuff. And that was just 2010!

But 2011 was a year of truly extensive travel. I visited Israel in January, and we have done some incredible traveling since we arrived in April. So, here is the end of the year summary!

In 2011:
  • I was flying for a total of 83 hours, 24 minute - or 3.5 days
  • I traveled 38,071 miles, meaning I circumnavigated the globe more than 1.5 times
  • Unlike last year, only 3 flight segments of the 21 I flew were delayed by more than 15 minutes (less than 14%! Not a bad improvement on things!)
  • We flew coach for every flight (although it would have been nice for all of those long-hauls!)
  • I flew in or out of 11 different airports (Tel Aviv was most often)
  • I flew using 8 different airlines (El Al for 29% of my flights)
  • I flew on 10 different models of aircraft (including Boeing 737s, a 747, 767s, 777s, and nearly all Airbus models, the 319, 320, 321, 330, and 340).
  • I flew 21 different routes, and never the same one twice.
  • And I flew through 7 different countries (US, Israel, UK, Czech Republic, Turkey, Cyprus, and Greece).

No comments:

Post a Comment