Sunday, December 18, 2011

My Second HUC Service - A Musical Shacharit

This past Thursday, I had the opportunity to work with one of our incredible cantorial students, Laura Breznick, and a wonderful advisor, Rabbi Yoshi Zweiback in developing and leading our Thursday morning service (the term for a morning service is Shacharit). Below are some videos and the texts of my mini-sermons. The service was especially special because we were able to sing some of our favorite melodies, some of which were brand new to the community, such as Dan Nichols' "Shirei Zimrah" and "Beyond," Cantorial student Ben Ellerin's "Ahavah Rabbah," and a few of my own pieces. It was such an honor working with such talented individuals!


Iyun at beginning of service

The Psalmists wrote, "asher hir'itani tzarot rabot v'raot tashuv t'hayeini umit'homot haaretz tashuv ta'aleini. Terev g'dulati v'tisov t'nachameini." "You, who have shown me a great many and grievous troubles, revive me again, and from the depths of the earth, raise me up again. Increase my abilities, and turn back to comfort me." (Ps. 71:20-21)


Sounds like something we could all be saying right about now.


As we approach finals, we may need to take the time to decompress, to breathe, to listen, and to meditate. We know that we have the proper tools to succeed. Without prompting, we can engage with our lessons, sometimes together, and sometimes individually. We can take a moment to find a kavanah that speaks to us. Or we can just listen and soak in the music and sounds around us. The siddur gives us the order, and together, we take the time for Shacharit. 

Iyun before Kaddish Yatom (Mourner's Kaddish)
Have you ever thought about why a sh'liach tzibur would ask for names from the community before Kaddish? In my synagogue, as I'm sure in yours, a list of names is read, giving the community awareness that there are those in specific times of mourning. Then, often times, the leader will ask for additional names. But why? To what end do we encourage this sharing of names?

I think it is a beautiful sign of reaching out. I see it as an opportunity for the community to say to those in mourning, "this is a safe space." We traditionally welcome those in mourning by saying, "hamakom y'nachem etchem b'toch sh'ar avelei tziyon vi'y'rushalayim - may God comfort you among the other mourners of Zion and Jerusalem." You are not alone.

Instead of asking for just the name, I invite those who would like to share the name and also a brief sentence about your connection to your departed. This is a safe space. And we want to engage in God's work of giving you comfort. 


No comments:

Post a Comment