Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Video: Mashiv Haruach - You Cause the Wind to Shift

In the G'vurot prayer in the Amidah (the section also known as T'filah or Shmoneh Esrei, depending on what brand of Kool-Aid you drink), we say "mashiv haruach u'morid hagashem" during the winter months from Simchat Torah to Pesach. (Yes, there was a lot of linkatude in that last sentence, but in case you wanted a refresher on any of those topics, I wanted to give you some good starting places) The phrase translates to "You (i.e.: God) make the wind blow and the rain fall."

For the last week, we have had some incredible winds here in Jerusalem. I had to get some things from the grocery store, so I decided to go toward the German Colony (or in Hebrew, HaMoshava HaGermanit), since that was Sarah's hood for two months and I had not been there in years.

On my walk, I decided to get some make a short film of the winds entitled "Mashiv Haruach - You Cause the Wind to Shift."

Enjoy!




Note: this translation comes from the Reform Siddur Mishkan T'filah, whereas the previously mentioned translation comes from the Orthodox Koren Siddur.

No comments:

Post a Comment